When it comes to cleaning and washing, the best we always think of is quality detergents that would be both safe and effective for use.
Various detergents in the past and even present have contested these terms.
Each has always fought the battle of outdoing one another by introducing unique ingredients of their formation.
Today, however, we want to narrow this down to two detergents you’ve known for years, or probably you should know,
What is Oxiclean?
OxiClean is a brand name for one of the American’s top household cleaning detergents. The various products available under this name include;
- OxiClean Versatile – Stain Remover Powder
- OxiClean Washing Machine Cleaner – Helps remove odor causing residues in any washer
- OxiClean White Revive – Laundry Whitener + Stain Remover
Since 2006, the company has been under Church and Dwight as its chief marketer and owned by Orange Glo International since 1997.
While offering multiple dirt removal properties, Oxiclean detergents exist both in powder and liquid forms for various conveniences.
It, therefore, makes it more convenient to handle various cleanings and washings such as laundry, dishes, mats, dollies, surfaces, and so on.
How do Oxiclean products work
The core functionality of any washing/ cleaning detergents relies on its active ingredient. Most companies will, however, keep this a secret for its trade.
Whatever details we know about this fantastic cleaning detergent contain sodium percarbonate, surfactants, polymer, sodium carbonate, and water in its component, whether in solution or powder form.
When mixed with water, Oxiclean products break down to form oxygen and soda ash which effectively removes the various stains.
Is OxiClean chemical-free?
Orange Glo International describes its products as guilt-free. The breaking down of the Oxiclean ingredients into oxygen and soda ash produces no toxic fumes.
In a free version of the Oxiclean, there is usually a level of fragrance and dyes. We, however, have a choice on these.
Pros of Oxiclean
What makes Oxiclean products so outstanding?
- Multipurpose usage: One product can serve multiple functions like clean clothes and wash dishes
- Toxic-free – while integrating, the detergent does not produce any toxic fumes and fights foul odors
- It contains 50 % – 60 % of Sodium percarbonate, which is an active bleaching ingredient. The chemical helps in the removal of the tough stains.
- Environmentally friendly: The compounds forming the detergent are all from natural extracts
Cons of Oxiclean
So far, there is not any grounded reason against the functionality of Oxiclean products. It is only one out of a thousand people who complain about its ineffectiveness in stains removal.
The problem might, however, be a proportion of mixing or the kind of water used. Too little amount may not be entirely useful; even so, you should use clean water while rinsing.
What is Borax?
- Made from anhydrous pure powdered sodium borate with no additives or preservatives.
- Use as a cleansing booster with your laundry or dish detergent or DIY for Laundry Soap, Fabric Softener, Carpet...
- Borax can be used for a variety of things from rust remover to refrigerator deodorizer.
- Non-perishable: Packaged in resealable bag to preserve freshness. Store away from light, heat or humidity for longest...
- Odorless, opaque white powder. Available in 1 lb., 2 lb., 5 lb., and 10 lb. packages.
Last update on 2022-05-22 at 15:28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Borax is a long-time naturally extracted mineral used in powder form for purposes of household cleaning and washing. Other terms that also define it are sodium tetraborate and disodium tetraborate.
The major components contained in this substance include; boron, oxygen, and sodium. The primary source of a borax mineral is the lake beds of California’s Death Valley. Here the lake water evaporates, leaving behind deposits of this mineral.
A closely related product is the boric acid – still, it comes from the borax mineral extraction. The difference reflects on functionality. Boric acid is a pesticide, killing insects by meddling up with their stomach and nervous systems.
Uses of Borax
Typically, borax stands out as a cleaner detergent; however, there is much to its usages. Not many of us know this, but borax is always present in many products we use at home. Here are examples;
- Toothpaste and mouthwashes
- It is also found in cosmetic products: sunscreen, lotions, moisturizers, skin creams, and acne care products, etc.
- Paint as well as a ceramic glaze
- We are all familiar with putty-like “slime” for kids. Yes, borax is often a key ingredient in their making.
Pros of Borax
- Works effectively as a cleaning detergent
- Features medicinal values: Research has it that borax can help manage conditions such as arthritis or osteoporosis.
- It helps remove stains, mildew, and mold around the house.
- It is a critical ingredient in cosmetic products: Borax emulsifies, buffers, and preserves products, such as creams, gels, shampoos, bath bombs, bath salts, scrubs, and lotions.
Cons of Borax
- It irritates the skin and the eye
- Causes hormonal imbalances
- It can be highly toxic
Oxiclean vs. Borax: So, which one should we chose?
While some will draw a thin line between these two, others will always see the significant differences. Whatever matters, however, is our convenience in using these products.
A product that is a threat to your wellness might not be an absolute option to consider.
Still, there are multiple alternatives out there. Oxiclean vs. borax is only an insight into how right our detergents are, whether they are safe for use or not.
Can I use Borax with OxiClean?
Borax and OxiClean can mix well and produce quality results. Both detergents do the same work, removal of stains, odors, oil, and so on. Some say the mixture is even much more effective.
Today, the world has nothing like a shortage of the best washing and cleaning detergents. Plenty of them are available at our store, and more are joining them to keep the stiff pace.
Oxiclean vs. borax gives us an indulge into the reality of the detergents we use, their chemical composition effectiveness, and their disadvantages.
Oxiclean is one of the best-selling brands in America, and so is borax. Each of these comes with its top and unique feature, which gives them their spaces in the market.
Even as we make our purchases, it is still essential to watch the details. Borax usage, for instance, calls for a level of caution. So, what should we do about any of this?
Let’s learn our priorities and know the most effective way to use them.